The city extraordinaire is up to something ground-breaking again: Two artificial islands designed for family holidays will soon be flanking the Burj Al Arab.
They will be known as the “Marsa Al Arab”.
His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the UAE Vice President and Ruler of Dubai, no less, recently unveiled the project that is eyed to further boost the city as a family destination and provide supporting foundations for the upcoming Expo 2020.
At the project’s launch, Dubai Holding, the project developer, treated everyone to an exciting preview of what is to rise soon within the world-famous Jumeirah area of Dubai.
Here’s what we know about the Marsa Al Arab so far:
- It’s a $1.7 billion project that spans 4 million square feet. It is set to be completed by late 2020.
- Adding a total of 2.2 kilometres of beachfront to the city, Marsa Al Arab is made up of two luxury islands that will be placed on either side of the Burj Al Arab.
- One island will be designed specifically for entertainment and family tourism. This new island will also be home to the bigger, better Wild Wadi Waterpark, which will still be managed by the Jumeirah Group.
- The other will be an exclusive island of 140 Jumeirah luxury villas and a private marina.
- The project is also set to boost Jumeirah Group’s portfolio with an additional 2,400 hotel rooms. There will also be 400 new food-and-beverage outlets across the new destination.
- A marine edutainment park will also be in the works.
- A 1,700-seat theatre will be built and will be home to the world-famous Cirque du Soleil.
- A Dubai Pearl Museum will rise above the waters to showcase the grand pearl-diving story of the UAE, and feature an extensive collection of rare and ancient pearls. The museum will also house a pearl farm and a pearl-inspired boutique hotel.
- Retail spaces will be up and will span a total area of 20,000 square metres.
Gulf Dunes is keeping a close eye on developments. We can’t wait to discover what we can do at Marsa Al Arab for MICE groups and what new exciting venues will be built on these mega leisure islands. As soon as we get the information, we will let you know.